Statement of duties
The Director ensures that the operations of the library conform to the policies established by the Board and the regulations established by the Alabama Public Library Service.
Works under the general direction of the Library Board of Trustees.
Directly supervises and evaluates all administrative positions and may also supervise other library staff.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Oversees all library operations
- Manages, with the assistance of the administrative staff, all library personnel
- Develops and manages the library budget
- Manages fund-raising
- Initiates, plans, and manages all grants and grant writing
- Manages building maintenance including all four facilities in Autauga County
- Oversees all library policy development and personnel training
- Responsible for public and community relations
- Represents the library at all city, state, and library functions
Knowledge, Ability and Skill
Thorough knowledge of:
- Library policies and procedures, including automated library systems and information technology
- Thorough knowledge of circulation department operations.
- Must have ability to assist public in using personal computers and software products
- Must be able to fax, scan and use photo copiers to provide copying services.
- Supervise others, evaluating their performance, and training them
- Work independently
- Handle a great many details, some simultaneously, with accuracy;
- Communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing;
- Handle problem patrons and emergencies effectively
- Prepare and present meaningful
- Write and successfully procure grants
- Create goals and provide leadership for subordinates.
- Organizational and budget management
- Provide excellent customer service to patrons.
- Have a valid Alabama Driver’s License and a vehicle
Experience and Training
Master of Library Science Degree from an ALA accredited program and at least five or more years of related experience and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Hand-eye coordination necessary to operate computers and various office equipment. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop and crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Hours and workdays may vary.
Salary & Benefits
Salary range is $42,000-$52,000 annually; commensurate with education and experience. Benefits include health insurance, life insurance, basic dental, state approved holidays throughout the year, paid sick and vacation leave, and participation in state retirement.
Posted 05/24/2023 Application Deadline Open Until Filled
Contact: Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Board of Trustees reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time. August 2016